Friday, 19 December 2014

A Christmas Round-up

The final Ho, Ho, Ho and on We Sew Link Party for 2014 opened yesterday and if you haven't already do check out Marie's lovely Reindeer Table Runner here

So, I thought it was a good time to provide a round-up of all the great tutorials that have been provided over the year, just in case there is anyone out there who isn't yet organised for Christmas :)

Here it is, a whole year's worth of inspiring projects!

January: Handmade Christmas Tree Decorations by Paula at Mud, Pies and Pins
February: Coffee Lovers gift set by Fiona at Celtic Thistle Stitches
March: Easy pyramid egg warmer  by Karen at Easy Patchwork
April: Christmas Stockings by Karen at Practically Pippy
May: Upcycled tie pouch by Sian at buttons and paints
June: Fabric gift bag by Martha at Weekend Doings
July: Fabric Advent Chain by Nicole at Modern Handcraft
August: Santa's Belt paper-pieced pattern by Erin at Missy Mac Creations
September: Santa and Sleigh Lampshade by Fiona at Celtic Thistle Stitches
October: Christmas Tree Ornament/Pin Cushion by Janine at Rainbow Hare Quilts
November: Christmas Gift Wrap sack by Joanne at Rose & Dahlia
December: Reindeer Table Runner by Marie at Quilts with Personality

If you do make any of the projects above or, indeed, any handmade Christmas or Holiday gift this month don't forget to link it up to the December link party over at Quilts with Personality to be in with a chance of winning one of our great giveaways. 

Amitie Gift Voucher
Thanks to all of our wonderful Link Party hostesses over the year, we couldn't have done this without you!

Linking up to Crazy Mom Quilts

Thursday, 18 December 2014

Ho, Ho, Ho and on We Sew in December

It is finally December and time for all of the lovely linkers to our monthly link party to pat themselves on the back and put their feet up for a well-earned rest!

 If, however, that isn't quite the scenario in your sewing room fear not, there is still time for some last minute gift making to fulfil that creative urge.

This month's link party is hosted by the lovely Marie who blogs at Quilts with Personality , check out her beautiful Winding Ways quilt if you are looking for inspiration for a holiday quilt for 2015. Marie is sharing her tutorial for a gorgeous Christmas Runner too, so definitely worth popping over to have a look :)

If you are new to the party, let me fill you in on the details. Paula and I decided at the end of last year that Christmas 2014 was going to be different, this time round there would be no late-night sewing sessions or frantic last-minute dashes to the Post Office. This time we were going to work on Christmas and Holiday projects throughout the year so come December we would be so organised we wouldn't know what to do with ourselves :)

We decided to share our plans with our blogging friends and invite them to be organised too, with a monthly Link Party to provide a gentle nudge. As ever we have a lovely incentive for you to get crafting and linking and this time we have not one but two giveaway prizes.

A copy of the brilliant Katy Jones book that will no doubt be a great inspiration for all the Bee blockers out there and, courtesy of the lovely Marie and Amitie Textiles a AU$30 voucher to spend at Amitie Textiles.  So, if you have always hankered after one of Jen Kingwell's fabulous patterns then this could be your lucky day!

The winner of November's giveaway was the novelty pouch factory otherwise known as Sandra Sews

My own Christmas making this month has been of the edible variety than the textile.

For years my sons and then their girlfriends/wives have been responsible for the decorations on our Christmas Cake. Fierce rivalry, not to mention clouds of icing sugar, were involved in creating icing nativity scenes, polar bears and on one memorable year a Christmas Elvis!

Sadly this year only one son will be at home to decorate the cake, so I decided that if they couldn't come to the cake then the cake would come to them. 

 So much of this month has been spent baking, marzipanning (?) and icing a plain white Christmas Cake. Then delivering the same to the missing sons and wives in time for them to be ready to decorate for a grand unveiling by Skype on Christmas Day. A new tradition, hopefully, in the making.

If I was making Christmas cakes I might as well buy more fruit and make a Christmas pudding whilst I was at it. This year it is wrapped up in a Santa linen tea towel but next year I think there might be some applique in the process :)

So, that is what I have been up to now it is your turn to show off your Christmas and Holiday makes for this month. Head on over to Marie and link them up to be in with a chance of winning one of those prizes! The link party will be open as always until the end of the month so even if your makes are really last-minute there is still a chance to link up :)

As always a big thank you to all of our generous sponsors, we couldn't have provided all of the great giveaway prizes throughout the year without them.

Fluffy Sheep QuiltingQuilting Fabric at the Fat Quarter ShopPlush Addict LogoQuiet PlayRay Stitch HaberdasheryPosie: Patterns and Kits to Stitch by Alicia PaulsonBackstitch


Sunday, 7 December 2014

More nagging wives!

A few weeks ago I posted about the village of Chiddingstone with its' Chiding stone for nagging wives. Well, here is how nagging wives are dealt with in Bermuda!

Gossip board

First they hang this board around their neck, just in case they are not sure of the accusation made against them!

Then they put them on the ducking stool. You can see where this is going can't you!

Ducking stool2
Then they duck them!

Ducking stool3 

If they happen to voice any disagreement about the punishment, well then

Ducking stool2

they just duck them again!!

Seems like Bermuda wasn't the paradise it was cracked up to be :)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...