Thursday 30 August 2012

Bee blocks and Brocantes

Although I planned to get my Star of Africa Bee block for August finished before I headed off on holiday, life got in the way so I ended up taking it with me. May, whose month it was, had asked for a pink or pastel block based upon architecture. Now whilst I don't have a lot of pink fabrics in my stash, I am surrounded by some wonderful architecture so there was no shortage of inspiration.

Our apartment is in the middle of the Art Nouveau district of Riga so that was my starting point for the block. I doodled all sorts of Art Nouveau motifs before finally settling upon a fairly simple tulip, both because it seemed achievable but also because this motif is painted all the way up our stairwell! I did entertain fond notions of trying out stained glass applique for the block, but as I knew that I would only have one chance at getting it right decided to save that for another day :)

So here it is, instead of a signature I added a tiny embroidered map of Latvia so there would be no question of where the block came from! This Bee is really pushing me to try things, which is nerve-wracking but enjoyable too. The request for this month's block is for a block based upon animals, my thinking cap is still on for that one :)

Whilst on holiday we visited a couple of Brocantes (Flea Markets) and Vide-Greniers (empty-attics), where we thoroughly enjoyed nosing around. The biggest Brocantes we visited was in a town called Riberac, where the market takes over most of the town for the day. I don't know about you but I haven't seen too many fleas with access to notions like these

or linens like these

There were so many fabulous linens at Riberac but fortunately (or unfortunately) none with appropriate initials otherwise I would have been very tempted, for which my wallet and my bank manager were both relieved. I did buy some fabric remnants (coupons in French!) but forgot to take photos so you will just have to take my word for it that they were worth buying.

Upon our return to Riga yesterday I discovered that other Bees had been busy as there were two lots of blocks from the Sunday Morning Quilts Bee waiting in the postbox. 



I also won Grammie Q's scrap giveaway whilst I was on holiday so I am hoping that the parcel I need to collect from the PO later is a whole pile of scrappy goodness destined for my stash.

Don't forget to link up your paper-pieced projects at Quiet Play's Practically Paper Piecing Linky Party Kristy has some great prizes lined up.






7 comments:

  1. Your art nouveau inspired block is lovely! What a fantastic place to be living.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all the blocks, incoming and outgoing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your bee block is gorgeous! I love that tiny little map of Latvia too! It makes the block extra special!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The block is stunning, a fitting tribute to that gorgeous architecture! Hope you had a great holiday

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous block, love the fabrics you chose for the motif

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your art nouveau block! It's fantastic!

    How nice to return home to squishy mail from your trip!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, I read and appreciate every one! I will reply by email unless you are a no-reply blogger, in which case you will need to check back in the comments list for my reply, sorry!

Anonymous comments have been disabled due to the level of spam comments I have been receiving lately, sorry!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...