Friday 16 August 2013

Mini Finishes

My birthday is coming up at the end of the month and I may just have a number of sewing and quilting books on my Amazon wish list :)

So, before the anticipated influx of new reading I thought that I ought to get some value out of the books I already have. Before I had even heard of Zakka-style or joined in any Zakka-style SAL's I had Rashida Coleman-Hale's book I (heart) Patchwork. Indeed, the Wedding Ring patchwork tea towel was one of the first projects I ever blogged about, so the book has been on my shelf for a while.



As well as the tea towel I have also made this pincushion

and this apron from this book.




So, when I was looking for something quick and straightforward to make as an antidote to all of the seemingly never-ending projects I have on the go at the moment, I knew which book to pull from the shelf. 

Travel Sewing Wallet yellow


This time I thought that I would have a go at the travel sewing wallets, they seemed just the right blend of quick and useful that I was looking for. In addition, I got to play with some of my linen scraps from my linen shopping days in the Baltics :) The wallet only needs a scrap of linen fabric 9.5" by 3.5" for the exterior and three squares 3.5" by 3.5" for the interior, as well as oddments of cotton fabric for the binding and inners so is an ideal scrap buster.






 The pincushion in the middle is two 2.5" squares of fabric stitched together, then turned right sides out and stuffed before being hand stitched to the centre of the linen square. Stitching the pincushion to the square was a bit fiddly, and it did make machine sewing the binding quite tricky later, but the pincushion is my favourite bit of the whole wallet. 

I enjoyed putting this one together so much that I immediately made another one!



This time with some 50/50 linen and cotton scraps, which will I think be a bit more robust. 


I am delighted with these little wallets and, once again, with I (heart) Patchwork. 

Do you have a book that you turn to again and again for projects? There is still time for me to add to my wish list, if  I need to :)

Linking up to Crazy Mom Quilts

Confessions of a Fabric Addict

24 comments:

  1. I just love love love that red sewing pouch with the ladybirds :-) I must admit that I tend to follow instructions from blogs because I need the photos and pictures to help me sew! I have been loving Aneela Hoey's book 'Little Stitches' though :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are so adorable! I love how you mention "whipping" them up as if it is nothing ;) they looke lovely, well made, and useful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love that book! It is one of my first sewing books I bought. Your wallets are gorgeous. The ladybug one is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea - I can 'hear' the happiness and satisfaction in your voice. Great idea to do mini projects in amongst the big ones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i tend to use Pinterest and blogs too for actual projects, but i have still shelves of books, and more on my amazon wishlist! the sewing case is fab. i was given one where the pin cushion was velcroed to the case, would that be easier?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I generally use blogs and my enormous pile of craft magazines for inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are the perfect size and I love the ladybird scurrying out of the pocket! Great finish and thanks for linking up to TGIFF!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just gorgeous........I love these wallets. Thanks for sharing.Stopping by from TGIF at Amy's Crafty Shenanigans Marie (mlismore@optusnet.com.au)

    ReplyDelete
  9. OOooo love those little needle wallets!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the lady beetle travel wallet. So cute. You are one talented lady.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, Fiona, I especially love the ladybird travel wallet!!! Just gorgeous!!! I have so many sewing books that sit on the shelves gathering dust. Most I've never sewn from, while others I've done one or two projects from. I do love looking through them, but when I come to do a new project, I seem to look online first.

    ReplyDelete
  12. All those projects are so cute! I like the addition of the beautiful linen to the little sewing cases.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great little project!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dropping by this time from TGIFF - this book crops up over and over again Fiona and I love everything everyone ever makes from it. You've made some fab projects and your use of the ladybird on the travel sewing wallet is genius. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your ladybirds one is just brilliant - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The linen and red with the ladybird is so cute. I have to make one myself, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow you've been busy! I love those fussy cut ladybirds, very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very sweet makes! I love the sewing rolls :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are such a good idea, the ladybirds are so cute,I'm quite new to sewing only just about made a little gingham birdie, so these are really impressive.
    Clare x
    http://summerhousebythesea.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  20. What great wallets! I love the ladybug. I think my go to is just pinterest. I have several books, but I always end up online for a quick fix :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. How cute are those ladybirds?!? Gorgeous finishes :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. Those are some fun projects! Love the ladybug one, too cute! It's fun to make some smaller and faster to finish projects sometimes.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, I read and appreciate every one! I will reply by email unless you are a no-reply blogger, in which case you will need to check back in the comments list for my reply, sorry!

Anonymous comments have been disabled due to the level of spam comments I have been receiving lately, sorry!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...