Sunday 25 August 2013

New to Me in August

It's the 25th of the month, which means that it is time to share any new activities that you have tried out in August.




I had an idea that August had been a bit of a slow month but to my surprise, August has seen several firsts for me, the big one of course being hosting my first ever competition - the Holiday Memories Mini Quilt Competition




The Competition, which was launched on August 2nd with this post , is for a mini quilt based upon a Holiday Memory, and all of the details are available by clicking on the Holiday Memories tab at the top of the page.

Another first was my attempt at a Stained Glass Applique block inspired by Charles Rennie Mackintosh.


Rennie Mackintosh Rose block

Fusible bias tape equipment



Even with the fiddly 0.25" bias binding to make, this was quick and enjoyable to do, so will, hopefully, not be my last try at the technique.

More fusible bias binding was involved in the last of my new techniques this month,

Tyne Bridges Star of Africa Bee block

with a lot of free-form machine embroidery thrown in for good measure :)

So that is what I have been up to, now it is your turn to link up and share your New to You activities in August.

Link them up below and share your triumphs and/or disasters.

As ever please help to spread the word by linking back to this post in your post and/or adding the blog button to your sidebar.


Check out the other links and leave a comment along the way. The emphasis of this link party is to celebrate the trying of something new, whether it works out exactly as planned or not, so a little encouragement here and there would not go amiss! 

The link will remain open until August 31st so if you haven't already tried something new you still have time :)








13 comments:

  1. Love your stained glass quilt! Too pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i didn't realised that you'd made your stained glass tape, well done you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The stained glass mini quilt is beautiful! I love Rennie Mackintosh designs.

    My first quilt was a stained glass effect but as I didn't have a clue what I was doing, I cheated and bought the bias tape. Well done for doing it properly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another month of great firsts Fiona. I love you stained glass quilt and your bridges are wonderful too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I added my triple zip pouch, as it was my first time making one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun new techniques to try out!! Both of your blocks turned out gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've had a great month of new techniques. I love both your blocks :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need to finish and post my something new, but wanted to say well done you for such a great month!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have been quite busy this month. I love your stained glass block. My new to me this month was FMQ a whole quilt. I hope I get to take pictures and post in time to link up this month.
    Your embroidery is fantastic too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's quite the collection of new things! Love the bridges :o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You did a lot of new things this month! I'm pleased to say I was able to join in this month too. I'm in a rush so I'll come back to visit the other participants...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh no we missed this month! We will have to link up two projects next month ;) xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, I read and appreciate every one! I will reply by email unless you are a no-reply blogger, in which case you will need to check back in the comments list for my reply, sorry!

Anonymous comments have been disabled due to the level of spam comments I have been receiving lately, sorry!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...